Governments from all around the world are releasing tons of information every day under the open data laws. Creating something out of that information can make you $2,000 richer. The Guardian newspaper, in collaboration with the open knowledge foundation and Google are offering a prize for the best visualisation.
The competition is open to citizens of the UK, US, France, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Sweden.
As a good Spaniard I will dig into my governments data and post my finding and frustrations in the blog. I have written I quick tick list of the steps I will follow:
- Find an open data set from any governmental website or download key datasets via datacatalogs.org
- Read the guidelines here
- Be creative and find new ways of making the information come alive!
- Be as innovative as my limited It skills will allow me to and use the latest tools and resources with the help of some nerdy friends that I love to pieces.
- Get a Google+ account and do a “hang out” with them sometime soon.
- Fill in the entry form and hope for the best 🙂